Thursday, April 05, 2007

Spring Break Visit Home

I traveled out of Orlando for a few days last week during Spring Break. There were two reasons for doing so.
  1. To play Ultimate Frisbee with old JMU alumni at a reunion tourney, Fools Fest.
  2. Fools Fest was in Fredericksburg, so I got to see my family.
The tournament was okay. It was great to see a lot of my old Hellfish. We didn't play that hot though. 1-6 on the weekend. And some of the teams we played were not fun at all. Players making bad calls and not honoring Spirit of the Game. I could go on, but will stop.

I also got to see my family and had a great time with them. My sister picked me up from Dulles Int'l Airport in DC. While waiting for my dad to pick me up, I hopped on the Metro to do a little sightseeing. I went to Arlington Cemetery and saw the Changing of the Guard and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I saw several school groups and was thankful that they took time to watch the ceremony. Maybe most of the students didn't care, but in a society that I think is increasingly becoming uncaring, this ceremony, at least for a moment, pulled them the other way towards caring about people that fought for the dignity of human life.

The other reason for going to Arlington Cemetery was to see my Grandmother's grave. I never knew her, but have only heard great things about her. This excursion was a part of a new hobby to learn more about my family history. Hopefully, I will write more about that later. One quick teaser I obtained over this trip. My grandfather wrote a letter to my father before his death detailing his experience of being at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

Also, while sightseeing, I went to the highpoint of DC, Fort Reno. This is not one of the official 50 states, but since I was in town, I thought the visit would be interesting. Unfortunately, it was not that glamorous. If you want to read more, goto my highpointing page, click here.

No comments: