Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Remembering the miracle...

This time last year, Brian and I went to the hospital ecstatic that we were going to add a girl to the mix of our family. We did what we could to prep Chase that he was going to have a sister and we even had a present waiting at the hospital for Chase to open "from baby sister." We were nervous about the VBAC because they are risky, but overall felt less anxiety than we did with having Chase. We didn't know what to expect since Chase's birth was via c-section. We had a crazy (hard from the get-go) kinda labor that defied all expectations. What do you mean by that, you might ask?
Q:Labor slow at first and tolerable then worse towards the end, right?
A: Nope. Started out being more painful than it ended.
Q:Did we have ANY of the doctors in the practice there?
A: Nope. Happened to be the one day that all were gone and another doc was covering for that practice.
Q: Was he convinced I was in labor when my contractions were doubling (a.k.a back to back) and I was vomiting so much I could transfer rooms or make it to the restroom?
A: Nope. (The nurse was more than convinced... whew at least someone was on my side)
Q: Did I give in to meds?
A: Yup. I laid aside my pride at that point and said if the contractions are not doing what they are supposed to on their own, it's worth trying to at least relieve me from vomiting.
Q: Did they work?
A:Nope. Well, not originally. The Anesthesiologist was baffled ("this has never happened" he scoffed and we all had a big laugh actually at how he had to stick me twice. So the eventual answer is YES! AMAZINGLY! And thank you Jesus for that!)
Q: Did the epidural make things slower (as I had feared) and make me feel worse (as many had warned)?
A: Nope- in fact it made my contractions efficient (as in rather than just painful and back to back, they actually made my body respond accordingly).
Q: Baby being 1 week and 1 day over must've come out bigger than Chase who was 3 weeks early?
A: Nope. She still weighed less than Chase!
Q: So, measuring petite even after going over 41 weeks made delivery easier?
A: Nope. One would think so. Apparently when doctors make those comments about "you have childbearing hips" - they are not directed at me. Even my little 7 lber was a feat. But she survived! Her entry may have defied a lot of our logic (I'm such an ISTJ), but it was sure worth it! Thank you, God.

Stay tuned for the bday countdown post...

1 comment:

Naomi said...

I don't think I ever heard the details from Sophie's delivery. I'm sorry it was so dramatic. But, I'm glad you ended up with a healthy baby girl.