Thursday, February 28, 2008

India Excursions

I brought my GPS to India and recorded some of our trips. Some of the better photos from the trips are posted where they were taken. If you click on the trip, there are some further descriptions of each trip.

Mahalakshmi Temple at EveryTrail

I did this one solo. It was a chance to see a part of India the normal tourist does not. From the main road, I turned down a small alley. It felt like someone turned the clock back 20 years or so. It was somewhat bewildering. As I walked forward, I came to the entrance of a temple, many people going in and out. Then an old lady comes toward me waving a stick at my feet. I wasn't sure what she was doing. I thought about turning around. But then I saw some younger guys and asked them what was going on. Thankfully, they spoke English and mentioned that you had to take off your shoes to enter the temple. The old lady would watch my shoes for a small fee. I agreed and went up the steps, through a metal detector and into the temple.

Spice Plantation at EveryTrail

This was a fun trip with the family. We got to see some elephants and see how fresh Indian spices are grown. We also had a nice lunch afterwards.

Goa Coastline at EveryTrail

Another solo trip. This was a gorgeous hike along the Goan coastline. The hike ended at an old dilapidated fort. However, the fun was not over. I grabbed a taxi back. I don't think it was a legitimate taxi service, but if you have money, most Indians will take it. The fun part was that the taxi was on a motorcycle. I felt like Che Guevara in the Motorcycle Diaries.

Parvarti Temple at EveryTrail

The steps leading up to this temple were enormous. Why you might ask? Because they were built for elephants. The king used to visit this temple that overlooks Pune. Since kings don't hike and cars hadn't been built yet, elephants were the best option.

Train Ride - Pune to Mumbai at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:Share GPS tracks
I was like a little boy on this one. I had my head out of the train for almost the whole trip.

Still more India posts to come.

2 comments:

Krisha said...

Very impressive if I do say so myself! Although, if I had been with you, i would've known that you must take off your shoes before entering a temple. :)
I can show Chase what daddy was doing in his "motorcylce diaries" while mommy was carrying baby around the world in the heat of India. I may not have been as adventurous as Che, but I guarantee my "backpack" weighed more than yours! :)

Chris Winkler said...

Wow, Brian, very cool! Thanks for sharing from your travels...you know that I would have loved to accompany you if I had been there! Looking at Krisha's posted comment, I think Chase will love to hear about and see your adventures.