Thursday, October 29, 2009

for every season...

There are so many things about fall that tug on my (Krisha's) heartstrings. I always think of hot apple cider, Appalachian music, drives along the parkway, hikes at the Peaks of Otter, horizons of fiery oranges, reds, and yellows and crunchy leaves that cover the green grass. Fall makes me feel nostalgic. I adore fall....because...well, it has a predictability that doesn't disappoint. It always comes and yet each year I await with great anticipation the peak of the colors. It is exciting and new every year. It never seems to get old and yet I know it's coming. Why can't all seasons be like fall?
It reminds me too that God created seasons with purpose. We (humans) seem to need refreshment and change and yet we find security in knowing what is coming next. It also doesn't take long for our hearts to grow bored and ungrateful, desiring the next season. I'm convinced that we wouldn't appreciate fall if it lasted all year. Nor would we love spring if it wasn't preceded by cold and dark winters. I'm learning a lot about seasons of life. There are just so many facets: seasons of marriage, of parenthood, of relationships with friends, seasons of changing indentities (for me: single missionary, working newlywed, what I like to call the "sugar momma"-putting B through seminary, and now full-time mommy). This season appears to be a season of blessing. Even on the days I feel worst, I look outside and it can't be ignored. The beauty literally overflows all the way up our doorstep. Seems to be the theme of my life right now.

The previous owners even planted mums that bloomed this fall. JMU colors- purple and gold!! Couldn't have been more fitting.

Fall reminds me that God is in the details and in every season. And though some seasons seem to allow us to enjoy Him more than others, He gives us all seasons (of rejoicing, of birth and new beginnings, of sadness, true struggle, and even grief) to push us to Himself. It's true we don't welcome the tougher seasons. I admittedly do not. And often we pray for friends or family to just have their circumstances change so that they would not have to go through such a season. But still the greater prayer should not be avoidance of pain or suffering. It should be prayer for strength to draw near to Him. Prayer that something greater, and deeper is accomplished amidst the pain. Something that couldn't have happened any other way. Something that -had God given us the choice-we would've taken the easy way out and forsaken the Greater reward of knowing Him more deeply. Something so great that we won't fully understand it this side of heaven. I'm convinced that those seasons that give us a clearer picture of the hope we are living with and for.

3 comments:

The Nolls said...

Krish - it made me so excited to read your post and rejoice with you in this "season of blessing" in your lives. So many things to be thankful for and praise God for! And while I miss fall this year (you know how it is down here), I'm do thankful for this important reminder about the faithfulness of God. Thanks, sweet friend! Love you!

Brooke said...

Beautiful pictures and such thoughtful and inspiring words, Krisha. You literally brought tears to my eyes. This was the very topic of conversation last night with my husband. I am so very thankful that God sees us through the hard times and that the suffering makes us appreciate our blessings that much more.

Kimberly said...

I love your pictures. You know I'm a fall-lover too. Thanks for your sweet message re: the craft show--we had a good time!!