Monday, December 01, 2008

Parenting: In His Image

Ever wonder why, as parents, we love to take pictures of our kids? They are just sooo precious.

I think the reasoning is more than vanity (that our kids are cute b/c we think we are attractive.... okay, that may play a part I guess... perhaps I'm doubly guilty as many say my husband and I look alike. hehe. I promise we are not related!)

But I truly think there's more to it. Something innate in us.


My son Chase looks so much like my husband, it's crazy! I could just sit for hours looking at pictures of how Chase's eyes are so blue (like Brian's) and how he is just so cute and expressive and how his soft profile is the same one I see in my husband. (see for yourself!)


I am convinced that God, Who made us in His image, has put in us (parents) a desire to see our kids grow up to be just like us (well, minus our flaws of course!). They are more than physically like us; they are reflections of who we are, inside and out. The more we reflect our Maker ,the more our kids will see that they too are- in fact- imago Dei (the image of God).


My heart is warmed when I see pictures of Chase with his daddy. I don't always see myself as a child of God, bearing God's image. But delighting in the similarities I see between Chase and Brian must only be minuscule compared to the joy it gives our Heavenly Father to look upon His children who seek to become more and more like His Son.

1 comment:

Beth Simmons said...

Chase certainly does look like Brian in these pictures. I still think he looks like you too. If you and Brian look alike, I guess that explains it:) Either way, he sure is a cutie! It was good to see you guys on Sat.