Friday, November 28, 2008

Parenting: Bearing With Your Children


Cute picture right? I've decided that teething is like the thorn in every infant's side! Cutting teeth is painful for both adult and child: child in that they physically hurt, their nose runs, they get diaper rash and don't get any rest (except for those 5 seconds that Chase stares at the grape Tylenol convinced that it's a miracle solution or if not, it tastes so good that time stops for those few seconds).

The only thing I know to do is to:
- expect that this will be ongoing his whole infancy
- bear with him ( I can try holding him, singing to him, distracting him, numbing his pain, giving him a teething ring, putting him to bed, etc.) Ultimately it has been a test of long-suffering for me. Am I a good long-sufferer? If I went to the doctor and asked what could be done and they said,"nothing." "You will just have to bear with your child in their pain. Just give them-- yourself," would I be able to do that and do it well?

I always thought myself more on the compassionate end than the "oh, well. Suck it up end." But I'm realizing it takes more than compassion to be long-suffering. It takes patience, it takes trust that it is God who is in control and no matter what I do to try and minimize Chase's pain, teething is inevitable.

I wonder if there are trials in my life that cause God's heart to ache with mine? Sometimes I feel God is so distant how can He possibly be long-suffering? Is He not the one who brings both calamity and good things? (Lamentations 3: 38) But my friend Bonker reminded me that Lamentations also says that "Though He brings grief, He will show compassion, so great is His unfailing love. For He does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men" (Lamentations 3: 32-33 NIV). I like how simply the NLT puts it "For He does not enjoy hurting people or causing them sorrow."

Communion for me has been a good "physical" reminder of Christ's suffering on our behalf. How cool that God knew that we as humans would need that tangible reminder that He is with us and that He has suffered in ways deeper than we can imagine. Just when I thought that no one could understand how long I've suffered; "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are- yet was without sin."(Hebrews 4:15)

1 comment:

Daniel and Kimberly Jordan said...

Sounds like God is teaching you a lot through parenting!! Re: teething...have you tried Hylands teething tablets? They have worked WONDERFULLY with Caedmon. Granted, his teething pains really seem to only be at night...but when he seems to be bothered, we give him a couple and he's good to go. They are only homeopathic, not meds, so that makes me feel better (you know how I am about that stuff). Talk to you soon!!