Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Parenting: God's Rod of Discipline

As a parent (Krisha talking), I see more and more analogies to my role as a mom and the Christian life. My son is at that age where I think he shows hints of rebellion (like shrieking for no reason other than to hear his voice and biting people to test out his new chompers). God's discipline is always something I've struggled to understand.

Proverbs 3:11-12 says: "My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent His rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those He loves, as a father the son he delights in." I never understood how God disciplines us for a "greater good" than now -when I feel grieved to have to discipline my child at such a young age. Chase is like me, unaware of his dad's (or mom's) ultimate purpose in the discipline but learning that he must change his behavior (which I pray becomes heart obedience and not just modified actions).

Sounds all simple as a child right? But what about God's discipline to us as adults? Do we truly believe it is for our good and because He loves us? In that moment when our hand was smacked our our cheek is stinging, when we do not feel like he has comforted us or given us our hearts desires; perhaps He's withheld something or even allowed us to experience suffering; do we truly receive God's rebuke without resentment?

I never realized how much I flee from discipline (as well as suffering). Our culture tells us to minimize pain (and that that is happiness), but I didn't realize that I'm just as weak as my son, wanting to avoid any pain that comes with discipline and rebelling in the moment due to not fully understanding the reasoning. I came across this quote that made me think of God's discipline in a different light.

"To be left uncorrected would be a fatal sign: it would prove that the LORD had said, 'He is given unto idols, let him alone.' God grant that such may never be our portion! Uninterrupted prosperity is a thing to cause fear and trembling. As many as God tenderly loves He rebukes and chastens: those for whom He has no esteem He allows to fatten themselves without fear, like bullocks for the slaughter. It is in love that our heavenly Father uses the rod upon His children. Yet see, the correction is in measure": He gives us love without measure but chastisement "in measure." As under the old law no Israelite could receive more than the "forty stripes save one," which ensured careful counting and limited suffering; so is it with each afflicted member of the household of faith-every stroke is counted. It is the measure of wisdom, the measure of sympathy, the measure of love, by which our chastisement is regulated. Far be it from us to rebel against appointments so divine. LORD, if Thou standest by to measure the bitter drops into my cup, it is for me cheerfully to take that cup from Thy hand and drink according to Thy directions, saying, "Thy will be done."- Charles Spurgeon

I'm sure you've come across those kids in public that go crazy! No discipline at all by the parent standing by watching them run loose in the store. We probably have moments at home where we let offenses slide because we simply feel like we do not have the energy to instruct or correct. But our kids? Never! They would never carry on like those undisciplined hoodlums!

But how many of us actually see ourselves as those kids? We assume we are the opposite kind of parents; we desire well-mannered kids even if it demands consistency and applying some form of discipline. But in our relationship with God, He is the parent and we are the children. Now that I am the child, do I crave God's discipline or would I rather He "let [me] alone?" I confess there are many days that I'd rather run through the store knocking things off the shelves and being left to "fatten myself" with all the ice cream I could eat than receive His discipline knowing it hurts, but it's because He loves me.

Anyone who knows me know I am somewhat of a melancholy person. But I can be encouraged, as Spurgeon points out, that God's love is given without measure! His discipline is limited... but His love endless. So I guess a parent who understands God's discipline is one who still grieves having to use the rod but also one who knows the ultimate goal is to discipline in measure so that love can be given without measure.

No comments: