Saturday, August 22, 2009

Creation long overdue

So, for as long as Chase has been around (probably longer), I have wanted to decorate his nursery with some artwork that included his name. But initially there were some setbacks. We didn't know where we were gonna live (Orlando, St. Cloud, Roanoke, etc.) and the house we were living at (at the time) we were renting and thus couldn't paint the walls.

There is something deep deep in me that craves order and simplicity, but also something that enjoys design and style. I am easily entranced by patterns, certain color combinations, fabric designs and color palettes. I specifically remember, as a child, HAVING to paint my rainbows in color order. I remember my first time in India feeling almost overwhelmed by a whole brighter and richer color palette- the saris, the bangles, the wallhangings sold on the side of the road. Even the servants there wore the most beautiful hues of oranges, reds, bright blues and rich purples. I digress....

So back to my long overdue creation. I've wanted to add my personal touch to each room in my house. There is something innate in me that wants to see that I can create and "love" on each room. I am always initially intimidated by the (what I call) "staged" decor/art that is out there. Like the stuff every other person has as their centerpiece because they got married in 2005 and registered at Target. (You know what I'm talking about!) There is something in me that envies the cleanness of those pieces but hates the fact that they are not original. They have no story behind them.

In my mind, I envision what I want to create and then the perfectionist in me fights with the visionary in me until one wins. In many cases, I do not create for fear of failing to execute exactly what I had in mind. But in the case of Chase's nursery (if I can even call it that since he's practically a little man now), my artistic side sucker-punched my pragmatic side for even doubting!









You like how Zoe sneakily crept into this picture even though she's not aloud in Chase's room?

I'd like to say it's exactly what I had in mind.. Well, it comes pretty close actually. Only one minor detail. My art refuses to be art and instead prefers to be sculpture. In fact, the harder I press them against the wall, the more the art insists on existing on the floor. So attached is the picture when the art was cooperating and hanging nicely along Chase's wall.



What do you think? Definitely not perfect. But, very me (and by "me" I mean my style). Some boldness, some consistency, some simplicity with a little bit of flare. All in very clean order.

Now on to finding a way to prevent this art from becoming flying saucers...

6 comments:

Karen said...

I love it! It looks perfectly wonderful and so creative. Great job! :)

Daniel and Kimberly Jordan said...

i like it! A+ from kimberly!

The Walters Crew said...

Looks awesome Krisha! I'm very impressed!

The Sinks said...

So fun! Between seeing Kim's orderly, cute, creative house this weekend and this, I am now jealous that I just don't have that knack. Wanna come do that for my kids' rooms too?!? :)

Naomi said...

I love them! So adorable and creative! Great Job!!!

Rebekah said...

Very nice! Love the colors. :)