Tuesday, September 08, 2009

a kitchen-full of memories

This past weekend, my dad helped me accomplish a great desire of mine- painting our kitchen! It was a fun father/daughter time of getting paint all over the place! I have had great visions of what I desire for my home and I feel this burst of energy to see them to fruition. I had always dreamed of having a terra cotta colored kitchen, adorned with all of my Spanish and Carribbean-influenced art. I was so ecstatic to put the art up in my kitchen because I spend a lot of time there these days. I took pictures mostly of the details because although the hue of "brown clay" makes me happy, it is the details that remind me of just how great our God is. Each item in my kitchen has a story behind it that reminds me to treasure those relationships (even amidst the mundane washing dishes and feeding the dog).



Here is one of my two favorite paintings I got in Aruba on my visa renewal trip with my chamas: Elisha, Abby, & Alba. They will go up on the wall once I find the correct hardware, but for now they sit in the Spanish-influenced plate we got for our wedding. The top one is of a church and the bottom is the classic divi divi tree found on the island.


Did I mention that my friend (and neighbor!) Rebekah just happened to have this handy microwave cart which fits perfectly in our kitchen? Very exciting! I'm planning on putting the two Aruban pieces on the wall above this.


Here is one of my cute bully sleeping in her new nook. Notice the Zoe art in the window sill.


Here is a piece of artwork that my dear friend Elisha, whom I spent a year in Venezuela with, sent me for my birthday. She was with me when we went to Merida (one of the most beautiful places in the world, sitting right in the Andes Mountains); we looked for original artwork that we carried back via a bus in the rain! What fun memories!


These two pieces are ones that my husband let me buy on our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. I really wanted art more than anything there so he let me buy 3 paintings and went to countless stores with me and waited patiently while I found the perfect pieces. I like these because although I doubt these two are originals, they reflect the indigenous life there on the island. They aren't glamorous in their content but they are brilliant in their color. That's kinda how I feel about myself sometimes. Not exceedingly glamorous, but passionate and full of heart!


I love this one (I'm obviously not a photographer as you can tell) but it seems like the blue glass in illuminated! Each vase in the window reminds me of a relationship I treasure:

The blue glass canister is from my Bible study leader and charming friend, Dawn Bonker. I absolutely love all things blue glass!

(In the sill but not visible in the picture) The ladybug spoonrest is from my dear friend Nancy who works at Wycliffe and blessed me so much with her tender heart of prayer and her hilarious antics. She is one of the youngest 70 year olds I've EVER met!

The four vases in the middle were Brian's maternal grandmother's. I never had the honor of meeting her, but feel pretty blessed to have something of hers in my kitchen. Also, if you can see the little face, those are Monk salt & pepper shakers which Brian "inherited" from his grandma and thought were especially fitting. Looks like they are sporting a typical Luther hairdo. haha!

After that is a rounded vase which my best friend Cristen brought back from a trip to Mexico for me! I love the green and purple and I use it for fake flowers and pens/pencils.


Here are two pieces one from a Venezuelan friend (there are so many I'm having trouble remembering who! Was it Julieta?) and the one on the right from my friend Laurie who now lives out in CA!! She brought it all the way back from Mexico for me on a church missions trip!


Also from Mexico is this awesome sun that I put over the arch of Zoe's nook. My dad brought this back for me on one of his many international trips. It is made of "brown clay" which inspired my kitchen color!


If you look over the entryways you can faintly see artwork: one is a picture of Calle de Carabobo, Venezuela's famous street in downtown Maracaibo. Brian visited me there while we were dating! The other entryway has a print of Maracaibo done by a local artist given to me by the missionary family I served with, the Onishi's. It was a wedding present (if I remember correctly) and really blessed me that they sent that even though they couldn't make it.



And what room wouldn't be complete without a hint of India. On the wall next to the cabinet is an Indian find that helps keep me organized with all my coupons!

Thanks Dad for all your hard work and to all who are a part of my kitchen!

No comments: