Wednesday, September 23, 2009

these are a few of his favorite words

So Brian and I have this ongoing joke of how our (almost 18 month old) son likes to say expressions "Oh no you Didn't!", "Up the stairs", "start over", "yellow" and "doh!"

You might wonder why I didn't ever mention him saying the basics like "dog", "cat", "hi", etc. Well, that's because he didn't. He went straight into saying the BIG words... or at least Brian likes to think so.

"On no you didn't!!!": The other day, in the car, Chase was protesting and he blurted out what sounded like "No you DIT- ENNNNT" and I had that exact thought in my head and as I was turning towards Brian to ask him if he heard what I just heard, Brian proudly mocked "Oh No you didn't!" We both laughed hysterically! After that I was seriously contemplating teaching Chase "aww snap" just for effect.

"yellow": Brian will work on a BIG word like "yellow" for a day and then Chase will say something that sounds like "ye-ow" which sends Brian into grin-mode. I laugh b/c I don't think Chase actually means yellow. I say this because I have worked on basic words and signs with Chase since he was about 6 months old and just this month he signs "more." When Brian asked, where did he learn more from, I explain in my faux humility that "oh I had worked on it with him" (while in my head thinking "FOR 11 MONTHS!!") haha!

"DOH": I promise we don't let him watch the Simpsons. He sounds like he's saying "no" with a stuffed up nose so it comes out like a "d" and he elongates the "ohhhh" which equals "dohhhhh"

"start over": The other day I was getting aggravated while at the computer and Brian joked that Chase said "start over" b/c whatever came out of his mouth sounded just like that!

"up the stairs:" Last night, Brian swears to me that as he was taking Chase upstairs for his bath that Chase said "upppfffstawers". I just laughed and thought, "that's funny b/c sometimes he gets his teeth and his nose mixed up and I'm impressed he's already moved on to 3-word-phrases."

What can I say, he must be a genius. :) We are so proud.

On a more serious note, Chase does understand a lot:

  • When I ask him to bring me his book or sign book, he'll go get me a book to read him.
  • When I ask him to sit or even just "go get your shoes" he gets them and sits in the floor and waits for me to put them on. He'll often sit wherever he retrieves the shoes even if that isn't where I want to put them on.
  • He knows gentle and strokes his or my face gently when I say that
  • He knows how to give a hug (but still avidly opposes kisses)
  • He knows (for the most part) where his teeth, ears, belly button, feet, toes, mouth are and for nose he always points to mine (I think he's convinced that only others have noses)
  • He's figured out that keys go in a door to open it so he takes daddy's keys to the front door
  • He knows how to sit on his rocker (at Grammy B's house) and rock himself
  • He spins in circles when he gets excited (like when we let Zoe loose to play with him)
  • He is currently very attached to men (including Brian, my dad, uncle Bry, Johnny, and some of the Sink's extended relatives in which we discovered he felt comfortable enough to sit in their laps!)
  • He signs "all done" and "more" and still says his favorite word: "car"
  • He definitely is developing his sense of humor as I notice him laugh at things that I didn't realize he understands are funny
  • He's back into high fives... he took about a 4-5 month hiatus
  • He waves whenever he hears the front door shut (usually 3-4 minutes after Brian has left)
  • He holds things up to his ear like a telephone and waits for me to say "ring! ring!"
  • He is eager to use his fork and spoon and loves his Nalgene sippy that doesn't have handles
  • He is finally loving his baths and splashes water everywhere and stacking his cups (thanks Grandma Whited!)

1 comment:

Beth Simmons said...

He is so cute and sweet! And growing up so fast. I bet it just seems like yesterday that Chase was like little Asher. I'm glad he got to play with Madeline a couple of weeks ago.