Tuesday, April 06, 2010

4 little birdies

So, I've been in the mood to create some art lately and my friend Kim passed along a neat project she had seen on another blog. And since the theme of our little girl's nursery is birdies, I thought I would start creating some art along those lines.



Here's the canvas in the yellow playroom

I took the initial photos of it while it was drying. It actually looks good against the walls of our dining room. The glare is from the mod-podge reflecting the flash.

Another shot


There is it on the toyroom wall. You can see it from our kitchen and from our front room which I like. (Just ignore the clutter and pretend you see some cool curtains up there.)

Here's a close up of our family. I realized the canvas needed something at the bottom so I went for some grass and 4 little birdies (notice how daddy bird has the worm). Baby girl is in the back.
We already counted her so she'd better come!

Detail of floating leaves and birdhouse (all using scrapbook paper)



This piece is for our toyroom which is the main room I spend my time in with Chase and my nephew Asher. It got pretty boring looking at blank walls that weren't colored and there was no real style to the room. We started by painting the room a creamy yellow. Thanks hubby for your help!! After we painted, I still felt like the room wasn't what I envisioned. Our toyroom definitely needed a focal point or at least something to distract me from the yellow walls and earthtoned couches/carpet. I usually have the vision of what I want a room to look like in my head, but it usually starts out looking far from it until all the details come together. (I guess that's no surprise as I am a details kinda person.) I kept envisioning our play room to be brighter and cheerier but also with some modern homemade art on the wall. I like simple designs with richness in color or pattern, so you'll notice that this tree is made of circles (of patterned scrapbook paper). I bought 2 packs of canvases which were incredibly cheap at A.C. Moore's. I had some leftover dark brown paint from a project I did two years ago. The only part that needed painting was the tree and if you saw what utensils I scrounged up around the house to paint that, you'd probably laugh. I'm sure it wouldn't have killed me to spend 99cents on a new paint brush but I has already gotten out all of the materials and was taking advantage of Chase's naptime. So I went for it! I kept telling myself that there were "no mistakes" b/c it's my art and it's a reflection of imperfect me! And that's part of the beauty of it.

Now I'm on the search for a valance or curtains that will go well in that room. I'm sure I'll be sitting in there A LOT when baby #2 comes along!

:)

7 comments:

Daniel and Kimberly Jordan said...

I LOVE it!! It looks amazing! Maybe we'll have to start bartering...I sew, you do art. I'm glad you mentioned Daddy Bird had a worm...I might've thought it was a mustache at first!! Super job, Krisha!!

Derwood Moms said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naomi said...

Adorable! You are so creative. I love seeing all of your art coming out these days :) (And I love the curtains that I am envisioning.) (Sorry that last comment was deleted by me. I was signed in under the wrong account.)

Tabitha said...

Really super cute, Krisha!! I love it! How inspiring are you??! :) Makes me want to start creating some of these ideas in my head too. :)

The Sinks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Sinks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Awesome! Now come help me!

~Cristen