Monday, August 22, 2011

Heelstruck

Devoted to my son, Chase Alexander

“Heelstruck”

I know the real battle lies within

But even the outward, I’d be content to win

A heart of stone I can attest

So apparent at two

Also buried deep in my chest

Like a miniature mirror reflecting my sin

You walk around in need of Him

Only Christ can make your spirit new

So look to Him, for your worth and value

Even though God placed me over you

He knew I would falter and need Him too

And when I fail to do what I say

Let me not be your stumbling block, but instead pray

That I would shepherd you well in truth and grace

With understanding that you face what I face

The words He’s given me I now give you

Obey His commands, for they are right and true.

My heels are bruised from digging in

I refuse to let my toddler win!

Get out your shield. Get out the armor.

The battle is worth fighting! I have waged the war!

Your soul is at stake and the winner takes all

Parenting is only the microcosm,

Let us not forget the Fall.

The greater battle involves man and the snake

Evil has made its way in, now our eternity is at stake.

Cling to Jesus in the face of the serpent, my dear son

Take courage that the victory is already won!

The greater battle is inward you see!

Not about all the rules given by mommy.

Those are there to point you on the narrow path.

That you may inherit God’s blessing and not His wrath.

In this fight we are on the same side.

Against us the world, flesh, and devil collide.

They will all compete for the throne of your heart

This has been man’s struggle, even from the start.

The bruises we have from digging in

Are windows to the greater war of sin.

The mundane arguments encompassing this season of life

Are not without pain, not without strife.

But rather the fuel that forces us to our knees

Confessing aloud our guilty pleas

We eagerly bow our heads to receive

Your forgiveness, your love, your empathy

We reflect on the cost of our own stubbornness

How relentless our sin! But how much greater Your rest!

We remember that You paid the greater price

By Your atoning sacrifice.

By Your Spirit our salvation is sealed

And by Your wounds we are healed.

(Gen 3:15 & Isaiah 53:5-6)

1 comment:

Hana said...

Thank you Krisha. Just read this aloud with Matt. An encouragement to me in this similar season. Such truth.