Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I went to an ecumenical healing service last night and had a different, but enjoyable experience. An older saint (in his 80s) gave a short sermon. What impressed me most, was the experience and wisdom that came from his lips. He spoke as one who had walked with the Lord for many years. His faith was genuine and powerful. We knelt during prayers, most of which were liturgical. There was some difficulty praying this way, but there was also some rich insights and prayers that came out of this time.


I was struck by the great number of people that were specifically lifted up in prayer. At first, it made me sad that there were so many people aching in pain. But at the same time, I was comforted and thankful that these people were being lifted up. We celebrated communion. The table was not fenced, which upset me slightly, but it was administered in my favorite way, by actually drinking real wine from the cup. Upon drinking, the wine heats up the chest creating greater awareness of the sacrifice, which Christ made at the cross. Immediately after communion, the priest anointed my forehead with oil (someone said it was rosemary). What a beautiful smell, very comforting. The whole car ride back home, I continually caught whiffs of the sweet fragrance. Overall, the experience was great. I would like to take my wife with me some week and see what she thinks.

No comments: