Monday, July 03, 2006

Thoughts from Sunday, July 2, 2006

I went to my church, University Presbyterian Church (UPC), on Sunday. We celebrated the Lord's Supper. I really appreciate the way this sacrament is administered. First, the bulletin contains a page describing the elements and their meaning. It is a helpful reminder that brings me into a deeper meaning when partaking of the elements. Also, the table is fenced. I think many people in our quasi-post Christian culture often take the elements without really knowing what they stand for. It is tradition, therefore, we should take, eat and drink. So, often no warning is given and these people who do not know why they are eating, reap judgment by doing so. Therefore, I'm a big fan of fencing the table and grateful for my church in doing so clearly.

No comments: