Monday, May 03, 2010

26.2

Here are some photos from the Blue Ridge Marathon that Brian trained for 4 months and ran in on April 24th. He did an amazing job both in training and running especially considering the terrain. He continued to train during our harsh winter when cars weren't even on the roads! And the days it wasn't safe to run outside, he'd often do a bizillion laps at the gym just to get in mileage.

I loved this event because I felt like I had invested so much time in helping Brian and was eager to see him finish. Plus my whole family spent the entire day encouraging him! It was SUCH a blessing to have my family just as excited as I was about seeing Brian race!

First we headed to a campground behind my sister's neighborhood. The gnats were AWFUL but we managed and even Asher came along to root for his unky. When Brian spotted Chase and my mom, he ran off the course to greet them.


Making friends

People were SO friendly. In fact runners were coming by and as we cheered they were all saying "thanks so much for being here. I really appreciate it!" Ha! They were telling us thanks even though they were the ones sweating! So cool. Really made me teary-eyed for the special place Roanoke has in my heart. I'm still convinced we are one of the friendliest, hospitable places out there. Prideful, I know.

I actually passed Brian on a main road traveling back to the house! It was an act of God b/c the chances of that happening were so slim and I thought "God it would be so awesome to see him pass and be able to honk!" And I did!

(You can barely see him but he's got blue and black on and is near the next cone. This was taken on Franklin Rd. by someone else.)

Here is Brian passing a park near our house. We saw a guy racing barefoot before him and the kids cheered "Barefoot! Barefoot!" as he passed.


We headed to the finish after that and Brian actually picked up his pace so that we missed him come in! But he still finished under 6 hrs which was something to celebrate! Here we are at the finish!! He said he never even used the bathroom during that whole time and he drank all the drinks given to him!! (TMI.... sorry)



How cute is my hubby?! I mean, seriously. He just ran for like 6 hrs and his eyes are sparkling and he's got a huge smile on his face. I love him so.


Great job hubby! We are proud of you!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Way to go, Brian!! :-)